Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Journey

This question seems to be popping up alot lately, "Am I enjoying the journey, or am I wanting to get to the destination so fast that I can't enjoy and learn from the journey itself?"
Personally I'm still trying to figure out what I am. However, I do believe that we do sometimes get so caught in wanting to reach the destination that we forget about the journey. Especially as a Christian I wonder why God even makes us endure the journey of life. It is so complicated and so hazy at times that I just long to be in heaven where everything will be cleared. I wouldn't have to worry about the everyday trials that we face consistently.
Its during those times when I wonder, "Why am I here, when I want to be there? Why can't I grow up faster?" But God has a divine purpose for everything.
The Bible says that God put eternity into our hearts. I believe He did that so that we would search out eternity. Not to just confirm our own preconceived opinions but rather to grow and to be willingly to hold our opinions loosely. To be willing to change your opinion is part of the journey. When you realize that you are wrong and then can change what you orignally believed is probably one of the hardest things to do. This is one part of the journey that I know I miss out on. I get so caught in my own opinions sometimes that I wrap a blind fold around my own eyes.
Rationality can also hinder us from truly enjoying the journey. Wanting everything to be rational will only lead to disappointment. As Chesterson said, its the most rational people that are most prone to ending up in a mental hospital. Not being willing to have faith the size of a mustard seed can sometimes keep us from enjoying the very thing that God has set before us.
The last question is, "Am I making the most of where I am?" With what God has given me, am I being a good steward?
These are just questions that I have been pondering lately and something that is worth thinking about.

No comments: