Saturday, March 11, 2006

Song of the Month

Once again this is another late post that has been in the makings for awhile! But here it is nonetheless!! This month's song is...... Beethoven's "Pathetique Op. 13 No.8".

Lately I have been listening to classical music and have truly been able to enjoy it!! I think it is definitely one of those catagories in music that falls under the label of an aesthetic beauty. It displays such emotion from the composer and yet at the same time it is objectively relaying a message or feeling. It’s sad to see how we have degraded beauty to pleasure! Doing so only makes true beauty (which hurts more often than not) hard to come by. Maybe someday we will step out of this storm of "in the eye of the beholder" and really begin to see with our eye that which is objectively in front of us (not inside).

Δεν βρέθηκαν λέξεις

4 comments:

Camlost said...

He’s Alive! Oops…I mean, never mind. (I shouldn’t say that since I’ve been getting complaints for being absent on my blog as well :-/ that would be a bit impolitic; good thing I didn’t say that :~p)
So, what’s with you and all of your “pathetic” music??? haha
Actually, nice choice. The Pathetique has always been a favorite of mine.

I was thinking that very thing about beauty and such this morning (more particularly about “good”, but along those same subjective lines); how we evaluate a “good” movie as one that we “enjoy”, and how a “beautiful person” is merely one that we consider particularly attractive. It seems we are drifting further and further from evaluating anything apart from ourselves; now we simply say whether or not we “prefer” it (although “prefer” might get sneered at as too articulate of a term; now it’s only “beautiful” if we “like” it. Ugh! “like”- that exasperatingly insipid word!)

I hear you; likewise I long for the true appreciation of aesthetic beauty; particularly that which is “objectively in front of us” :~)

Ok so: “Δεν βρέθηκαν λέξεις”?
Fill me in :~)

Brit said...

Guess what? This time I actually know which song you're referring to! Only because my Arts teacher was telling us that if you listen to classical music while you study, you'll usually remember the material better. So I tried it... and lo and behold- I actually like classical music! (even though my family still walks through my room with raised eyebrows when it's coming from my stereo speakers ;)) I just thought you'd be proud of that little tidbit!

I completely agree with you about the beautiful emotion in this music. Somehow it never crossed my mind that you could listen to music without words and still get such a sense of emotion. (Don't laugh- this is coming from the one who can barely play Old MacDonald on the piano! ;)) So yes, very good choice this month!

Nick said...

At the end of my post where you see, "Δεν βρέθηκαν λέξεις," is supposedly (one never knows how acurate these on line translators are) Greek for the term Goodness, Truth, and Beauty. I'm no Greek scholar so I cannot say for sure what exactly it says but I thought it looked cool nonetheless!! :~P

Dalynn said...

It's so good to see a new post from you!I've had nothing to read from you or camlost in such a long time.
Well anyway just wanted to say I really enjoyed hearing you and camlost play yesterday morning,both of you are really good.It always nice to listen to talented musicians :)