Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Spanish!

What a roller coaster this semester has been!! All for the sake of one measly little class!! However, a class not to be taken lightly. Yes this is my third semester of Spanish at the local J.C. and could possibly be the last Spanish class that I will ever have to take. Chances are I will voluntarily take the final class offered at the college. "You're crazy!" some might say! Especially for those who know me....they are probably wondering why in the heck I would wish to put myself through this again. The answer is simple (the understanding of it is a very different problem): I would love to become fluent in another language and although I do not necessarily care for the Spanish language, I can't imagine starting all over again. I would be re-missed however, if I did not admit that the language is growing on me, despite my utter frustration.

Learning another language is an experience not easily found anywhere else. Through it, I think I have learned more about my own language than of Spanish. Its fascinating to learn why we put words in certain orders, and how a minor slip could affect the entire sentence. Making it either unintelligible or say the exact opposite of what was intended. This is especially obvious when translating. Often Spanish does not follow the English rule regarding adjectives and nouns (but then again, neither does English at times!!). When one is translating a sentence, they have to reorganize all that they are reading and then try to make the translation sound like the original.

A group of friends and I are in the middle of reading through Dante's Purgatorio together. One of my friends has the original Italian text written next to the English translation. Because the Spanish and Italian language are very similar, we often try to read it in the Italian and compare it to the English. We have noted a couple of times where the English translation does not read quite the same as the Italian. Thereby giving us a different perspective of what Dante is trying to relay. It has occurred to me, through these readings, that there is a lot of pressure on the shoulders of a translator. Not only do they have to understand the other language, but they have to be careful that they do not misrepresent or inaccurately convey what the author is relaying. Not to mention that the work is extremely tedious and requires an enormous amount of patience.

However, what makes this art of language so amazing is it is a talent that everyone is born with. Everyone can speak at least one language. To learn a second or third language is skill that all people have the ability to do! By naturally speaking one language one already has the building blocks to learn another. Take it from me...you don't have to be a genius to learn. This is not to say learning another language is easy, but it is a joy that most people miss out on. The joy in expressing oneself more fully through articulation.

This Thursday I have my Spanish final which the professor so happily told us was going to be cumulative! That was just before he informed us that we were going to have another test a couple days before the final as well! Now as I frantically search for class notes, previous tests, and begin to feel the weight of the up coming final, I'll try to remember that I am doing this for the joy of expressing myself more accurately (no telling what that will sound like)!

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is really cool. I always wanted to learn another language, but never had the time or motivation. But next year I have to take Spanish, so I'll be forced to do it. Maybe I'll continue to take more classes and then keep it up in university, I dunno.

On another note - you have friends that will actually get together to read and discuss Dante? I am envious and amazed.

Nick said...

Hey Emily! Thanks for the post!
I found that being forced to learn another language is the only way I will probably ever take the time to learn it. It has definitely been a love hate relationship thus far! Certainly one that I will never regret.

I didn't know that I had friends like that either!:~) Since last summer I have wanted to get together with friends and discuss philosophical and theological topics. So in January (you can see how long it took me to get up the courage to ask if anyone wanted to come!) I began weekly meetings with two other friends. We started out going through Dante's Inferno. Then during the summer I got some more people to come (totaling five) and now I have anywhere from 2-10 people coming over to my house weekly!! It’s been really cool!

Anyway, I think you would be surprised how many people would be interested in discussing Dante; once you started asking around. There will always be those who give you the, "are you crazy?" look...but don't let that discourage you!

Keith said...

Be warned that I have found that it takes a lot to keep up a foreign language! Of course maybe I am just not as bright as other people. However, most of the languages I know are not ones that I can readily find someone to speak it with. Spanish in Southern California is a totally different story.

That sounds like a fun idea to have people over to discuss philosophy and theology. Too bad I didn't think of that when I was younger.

I once was on a long drive with a friend at night time. I was driving and we had the little car light turned on while my friend had out his Greek Bible as we went back and forth about the grammar and syntax surrounding a passage in 1 Corinthians 13 and the charismatic gifts. I was also told by my college roommate that I was once practicing Greek vocabulary in my sleep. Perhaps that helped him when he went on to take Greek! Just a couple of stories to show that having people over to talk philosophy and theology isn't the least bit strange.

As far as sentences being out of order... try reading scholarly German. It is connsidered scholarly style to write these absolutely convoluted sentences. I had to translate from a work that was contracted to be translated like 10 years ago or something and has never been completed. Not fun!